Tuesday 20 January 2015

Lens Filter / Protector

(Slim) MC Lens Protector on screwed on top of my 18-55mm Lens

The lens filter / protector... does it have a purpose? I have read up quite a bit the last couple of weeks to re-educate myself in order to make a determination if I should invest in it, or not...


Wiki describes it as follows:
"In photography and videography, a filter is a camera accessory consisting of an optical filter that can be inserted in the optical path. The filter can be a square or oblong shape mounted in a holder accessory, or, more commonly, a glass or plastic disk with a metal or plastic ring frame, which can be screwed in front of or clipped onto the lens."

I recently purchased my first camera that can handle interchangeable lenses. As a noob (picture taker) you're always wondering when you're gonna drop it or hurt it somehow, or get dust on it (or the camera sensor). An endless list. Then I heard about lens protectors and I thought its the answer to all my worries.

But then new terms came to light: UV / ND & Polarising Filters. And so the learning continued. And new possibilities came to light. Filters can also be used to assist in your photography in a number of ways. It can assist with glare, enhance colours, extend your shutter speed, and mist up water. All this of promise of a better image.

Some would argue you could edit your images. But filters offer you the option of maximizing your image beforehand! I say, filters are an enhancing option, if we can afford it.


What do you think? Do you use filters? Please comment below...
johnmckayza



For more reading on Lens Filters, goto:
         DPS - Readers on Lens Filters
         Using ND Filters in Landscape Photography
         Using Filters to capture the scene





No comments:

Post a Comment